Sunday, February 7, 2010

Clash of Two Titans

I figured since I could care less about football I write about the clash of two titans that actually have significance beyond the lining of the wallets of the NFL and CBS.

Exodus 14:11-15 They said to Moses, "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Didn't we say to you in Egypt, 'Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians'? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!" Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." Then the LORD said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on.


I love those verses! God has brought the Israelites out of Egypt and they have watched Him perform miraculous wonders to secure their release. Now the armies of Pharaoh are closing from the rear and they are faced with the red sea in the front. In the midst of this terrible predicament Moses gives them a pretty good pep talk. He tells them to stand firm and watch the Lord deliver them. But I love what God says to Moses. Why are you crying out to me? Tell them to move on.

So in the midst of their predicament the Israelites are crying out to God. Crying out seems like the right thing to do; it’s what I would do. God has a different perspective however. He says, “What are you standing around crying out about, I got this! Move on!” God’s expectation is that the Israelites would simply turn their back on their problem and move on. When I get into trouble, I like to fixate on it. I read books about it, I talk to EVERYONE about it, sometimes I even pray about it.

Please understand that I’m not saying that the answer to all your problems is to ignore them and expect God to clean up the mess. What I am saying is that when God leads you in a task or when you find yourself in trouble for following His will you do not need to consult others, or worry about the outcome. God will carry out His purposes, they cannot be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment