Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stewing Over Who I am in Him

Gen 25:30-34 He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.) Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright." "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?" But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.

When I read this verse in the past I always thought that it was pretty rotten of Jacob to blackmail his brother into giving up his birthright. Tonight when I read this the phrase “What good is the birthright to me?” it caught my eye. I always thought of the birthright as Esau’s inheritance as the first born son and it is, but it’s more than that. As the grandson of Abraham Esau was not only in line for the inheritance of his wealthy father Isaac’s estate, but he was also first in line to be the recipient of the promises included in the covenant that God made with Abraham. So when Esau says what good is a birthright to me, he’s basically saying, look, I don’t give a rip about God right now, I’m hungry, give me some food.

This got me thinking about how many times I shove God to the back burner in my life when I have more pressing matters to worry about. God has made me the recipient of His covenant promise through Jesus. I am adopted as His son, and as His son, I am in line for His inheritance. But all too often I’m willing to ignore my relationship and give priority to seemingly meaningless trivialities of the day. Yeah God, I know I haven’t spent time with you today, but look, I need my sleep. Yeah God, I know I don’t pray much but look I don’t have much time to myself after the kids get to bed.

It’s not about guilt. It’s about remembering who I am in Him. If I can keep that first and foremost in my mind, then maybe I’ll be less likely to cast Him aside for a bowl of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment